Monday, March 14, 2011

[Interview] Stevie Crooks

We got up recently with Stevie Crooks to talk about his current project, The W.I.N.E., his inspirations and how he dealt with all the madness that came with executing an in depth conceptual album. He has shown a lot of growth in our eyes, musically and personally, we're always looking forward to see the next move. Which always surpasses the prior. Read the interview, peace.



 






What up Villain?


**Yo everything is illmatic over here just relaxing gettin my Fierce Brosnan on.
So tells us whats new in journey of Stevie Crooks since the last time you caught up with us..

**Only way to answer this is one line “Put away the mask hopped in the suit/ put away the 40 hopped in the coupe”
Sounds like a lot of growth and progressive direction fam! Man your videos and your trailers are on point! Tell us about your vision and the process of you vision..

**Thank you man! Honestly the vision has been there since day one just took time for me to link up with the right people to make it happen how I see it.
My mind is like a rubix cube so writing things down first is the key to solve it then I apply
The missing pieces with what i've been given.



Speaking of your vision, tell us about your latest music project The W.I.N.E. and how you felt after completing a classic…

**The Wine is my Metaphorical message to the youth … it’s a message to the lost people that are in search of this make believe World society & the industry has made and sugar coated to open there eyes to the bigger picture!…The vision sprouted from the Crooklyn video which I dropped last year which shows me in a motel hiding/on the run.
When the W.I.N.E. starts I am in the same motel consciously speaking to myself …before I go out to rob someone...



To summarize everything up…it tells the story of a starving young man in a world falling apart put in a position to either call it quits or take the opportunity given to better his life the story is about Me.. Crooklyn is the underground the 007 world is the industry [cars money, women, danger] as the story goes on he realizes the things he dreamed so deeply about mean nothing but he becomes trapped for now the bond life is now all he knows..by the time he figures this out the people who recruited him are jealous and want him dead..

I wont call it a classic that’s for the fans to decided but I can honestly say for my first conceptual album it came out exactly how I wanted it to I am proud of it.



How has the response from your fellow villains been thus far?

**All My Villains Love it …and I love them, the following has grown and I'm sure they want more and I got them!

Always keep them wanting more! Tell us about your mind state and techniques you used to bring the theme of the W.I.N.E. to life...
**Man o man talk about no sleep! Mad studying watching movies, reading books, magazines, researching, drinking lots and lots of alcohol lol, playing lots & lots of jazz. Making sure it wasn’t corny was the hardest part. Skits were key to bringing it to life, dialogue for this project was the funniest part though and mainly GETTING MY BARZ UP



How long did it take you to complete the project? From the birth of the idea until the release. And where there tough moments? Tell us about the journey of the project ups, downs, changes in vision or plans, beat selection and any life changing revelations or experiences you had during the this time period.

**The project was already in the works since cigars & sneakers we just didn’t go full on till
I keep wasting hard drive space on these wak ass mixtapes & projects so I was like fuck it let me set a BAR…Hmm ups & downs haha writers block, time, schedules, women problems you know the usual lol. Me and Zeniro are like Double dragon he makes the beats I write the songs. Our chemistry is uncanny with this music now that we are older we understand what needs to be done and not be done.
This album not only meant elevation for me but it set a standard for whats next
I felt challenged and that’s why I love it so much my strive was rebirthed each song plus knowledge and wisdom for the young generation was broadcasted correctly



If you had the opportunity to rock a crowd any where in the world, what would be your hands down first choice.

**London of course! 007 style

Any tour plans?

**Only time can answer that but if it was up to me I'd TOUR THE WORLD
What's the most inspiring or motivating comment a fan has said to you about you and your movement?

**Man just recently I received a message in my inbox from a young girl who lives in Santa Clara telling me her boyfriend was a HUGE fan of my music & his birthday was coming up & she didn’t have time to get him the cool greys so she wanted to know if I could make a shout out video and send a signed CD to him I said fuck it and told her the day of his birthday We can video Chat and ill tell him happy birthday personally the day we did it humbled me seeing there faces in shock that I actually kept my word things like that keep me doing what I'm doing regardless if its not so bright looking.



Bet! Good karma on that!
Sum up how you feel about music and everything that's going on currently, commercial and non commercial…

**HIP-HOP RAP POP ROCK whatever it is Good music is Good music ya know.. I've learned to be mature about things if music is pure & has emotion & passion its okay with the Crook. I won't get to deep about what isn't good music though.

We appreciate you answering these questions and hopefully continue to see tremendous growth in your endeavors. As always we support the Villains and advise everyone to keep em peeled for the Crook himself.

**Word up! Thanks Defam!
S/O to
Black Rose Renegades/ Desi /Ta-East /Cairo/ Life Of Villains & all my Villains





No comments:

Post a Comment